- 1 lb / 450 g beef fillet
- 2 tbsp. Thai soy sauce
- 2 tbsp. fish sauce
- 2 tbsp. vegetable or peanut oil
- 3-4 cilantro roots, chopped
- 1 tbsp. crushed black peppercorns
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tbsp. jaggery or soft light brown sugar
- 12 oz / 350 g potatoes, diced
- 1/4 pint / 150 ml / 2/3 cup water
- bunch of scallions, chopped
- 8 oz / 225 g / 5 cups of baby spinach leaves
- cooked rice or noodles, to serve
( Food Measurement Conversion )
Cut the beef into thick slices and place in a shallow dish. Put the soy sauce, fish sauce, 1 tablespoon of the oil, the cilantro roots, peppercorns, garlic, and sugar in a food processor and process to a thick paste. Scrape the paste into the dish and toss the beef to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside to marinate in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours, preferably overnight.
Heat the remaining oil in a wok. Lift the beef out of the marinade, reserving the marinade, and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side, until browned. Add the reserved marinade and the potatoes with the mesured water and gradually bring to a boil. Let simmer for 6-8 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.
Add the scallions and spinach. Cook gently until the greens have wilted. Serve immediately with rice or noodles.