- 1 tbsp. vegetable or peanut oil
- 2 red onions, sliced
- 2 tbsp. Penang curry paste
- 14 fl oz / 400 ml / 1-3/4 cups coconut milk
- 1/4 cup / 150 ml / 2/3 cup chicken stock
- 4 kaffir lime leaves, torn coarsely
- 1 lemongrass stalk, chopped finely
- 6 skinless, boneless chicken thighs, chopped
- 1 tbsp. fish sauce
- 2 tbsp. Thai soy sauce
- 1 tsp. jaggery or soft, light brown sugar
- 1-3/4 oz / 50 g / 1/2 cup unsalted peanuts, roasted and chopped, plus extra to garnish
- 6 oz / 175 g fresh pineapple, chopped coarsely
- 6-inch / 15-cm piece cucumber, peeled, seeded, and sliced thickly, plus extra to garnish
( Cooking Conversion Tables )
Heat the oil in a wok and stir-fry the onions for 1 minute. Add the curry paste and stir-fry for 1-2 minutes.
Pour in the coconut milk and stock. Add the lime leaves and lemongrass and let simmer for 1 minute. Add the chicken and gradually bring to a boil. Let simmer for 8-10 minutes, until the chicken is tender.
Stir in the fish sauce, soy sauce, and sugar, and let simmer for 1-2 minutes. Stir in the peanuts, pineapple, and cucumber, and cook for 30 seconds. Serve immediately, sprinkled with extra nuts and cucumber.