- 14 oz / 400 g / 1-3/4 cups canned coconut milk
- 10 fl oz / 280 ml / 1-1/4 cups vegetable stock
- 1-3/4 oz / 50 g vermicelli rice noodles
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into strips
- 8 oz / 225 g canned bamboo shoots, drained and rinsed
- 2-inch / 5-cm piece fresh ginger, sliced thinly
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 1 tbsp. Thai red curry paste
- 2 tbsp. fish sauce
- 1 tsp. jaggery or soft light brown sugar
- 6 sprigs fresh Thai basil
- 12 unshelled cooked shrimp
( Measurements For Cooking )
Pour the coconut milk and stock into a pan and bring slowly to a boil. Add the remaining ingredients, except the shrimp, and let simmer gently for 4-5 minutes, until the noodles are cooked.
Add the shrimp and let simmer for an additional 1-2 minutes, until heated through. Ladle the soup into small, warmed bowls, dividing the shrimp equally between them, and serve.