serves 4 – 6
- 1-inch / 2.5-cm piece fresh gingerroot, finely grated
- 1 lemongrass stem (base only), thinly sliced
- 6 fresh red chilies, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp. Thai fish sauce
- 2 lb / 900 g whole fish, cleaned
- 2 fresh kaffir lime leaves, thinly sliced
- 2 fresh basil sprigs
- freshly cooked rice
- cucumber, cut into thin sticks
( Food Measurement )
Place the ginger, lemongrass, chilies, onion, and fish sauce in a food processor. Process to a coarse paste, adding a little water, if needed.
Cut 3-4 deep slits crosswise on each side of the fish. Spread over the spice paste, rubbing it well into the slits. Place the fish in a dish deep enough to hold the liquid that collects during steaming. Sprinkle over the lime leaves and basil.
Set up a steamer or place a rack into a wok or deep pan. Bring about 2 inches / 5 cm of water to a boil in the steamer or wok.
Place the dish of fish into the steamer or on to the rack. Reduce the heat to a simmer, then cover tightly and steam the fish for 15-20 minutes, or until the fish is cooked through. Serve with freshly cooked rice and cucumber sticks.