- 14 fl oz / 400 ml / 1-3/4 cups coconut milk
- 2 tbsp. Thai red curry paste
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 lb 2 oz / 500 g braising steak
- 2 fresh kaffir lime leaves, shredded
- 3 tbsp. lime juice
- 2 tbsp. Thai fish sauce
- 1 large fresh red chili, seeded and sliced
- 1/2 tsp. ground turmeric
- salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp. chopped fresh basil leaves
- 2 tbsp. chopped cilantro leaves
- shredded coconut, to garnish
- freshly cooked rice, to serve
( Kitchen Conversion )
Place the coconut milk in a large pan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer gently for 10 minutes, or until it has thickened. Stir in the curry paste and garlic and simmer for an additional 5 minutes.
Cut the beef into 3/4 -inch/2-cm chunks. Add to the pan and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce the heat and add then kaffir lime leaves, lime juice, fish sauce, sliced chili, turmeric, and 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
Cover the pan and continue simmering for 20-25 minutes, or until the meat is tender, adding a little water if the sauce looks to dry.
Stir in the basil and cilantro and season to taste with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with shredded coconut and serve with freshly cooked rice.