By the look of this dish, the Chicken and Straw Mushroom Curry dish, I can’t wait to grab the bowl of steamed jasmine rice (khao rice) and start eating with it.
I notice that the coconut flavor is enhanced by adding half the coconut milk towards the end of the cooking process.
- 800g boneless cubed skinned chicken
- 275g rinsed fresh or canned straw mushrooms
- 350ml thin coconut milk extract
- 175ml thick coconut milk cream
- 6 peeled garlic cloves
- 1 medium roughly chopped onion
- 1 1/2 white roughly chopped root ends of lemongrass stalks
- 6 dried seeded red chilies
- 1/2 tsp shrimp paste
- 2 1/2 cm piece fresh ginger root
- 2 coriander plants
- 1 tbsp toasted coriander seeds
- 3 kaffir lime leaves
- 80 ml vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg · 1 1/2 tsp salt
( Cooking Measuring )
- Using a food processor or mortar, grind the garlic, lemongrass, onion, chilies, ginger, shrimp paste, and the roots and stems of coriander, reserving the leaves, into a thick paste.
- Fry the mixture gently in the oil for about 20 minutes.
- Grind the coriander seeds to powder, mix in the nutmeg and salt then stir into the fried paste and cook briefly.
- Add the chicken, mushrooms and lime leaves with the thin coconut milk and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Add the thick coconut milk and the coriander leaves then heat for 5-6 minutes.
- Check the seasoning and Serve over rice.