- 2 fresh red Thai chilies
- 2 tbsp. peanut oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 shallots, chopped
- 2 lemongrass stems, sliced
- 6 fresh kaffir lime leaves
- 1 tbsp. tamarind paste
- 2 tbsp. palm sugar
- 1 lb / 450 g lean boneless lamb (leg or loin fillet)
- 1/2 pint / 300 ml / 2-1/2 cups coconut milk
- 6 oz/ 175 g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 tbsp. chopped cilantro
- freshly cooked Thai fragrant rice, to serve
( Measurements Cooking )
- Using a sharp knife, seed and very finely chop the chilies. Reserve until required.
- Heat the oil in a large, preheated wok.
- Add the garlic, shallots, lemongrass, lime leaves, tamarind paste, sugar, and chilies to the wok and stir-fry for 2 minutes.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the lamb into thin strips or cubes.
- Add the lamb to the wok and stir-fry for 5 minutes, tossing well so that the lamb is evenly coated in the spice mixture.
- Pour the coconut milk into the wok and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and let simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the cherry tomatoes and chopped cilantro to the wok and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Transfer to serving plates and serve hot with fragrant rice.