- 1 lb 2 oz / 500 g lean boneless leg of lamb
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tbsp. Thai red curry paste
- 1/4 pint / 150 ml / 2/3 cup coconut milk
- 1 tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and thickly sliced
- 5 fl oz / 150 ml / 1/2 cup lamb or beef stock
- 1 tbsp. Thai fish sauce
- 2 tbsp. lime juice
- generous 1 cup canned water chestnuts, drained
- 2 tbsp. chopped cilantro
- 2 tbsp. chopped fresh basil
- salt and pepper
- fresh basil leaves, to garnish
- freshly cooked jasmine rice, to serve
( Cooking Charts )
- Trim the meat and cut it into 1-1/4-inch or 3-cm cubes.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet or preheated wok over high heat.
- Add the onion and garlic and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes to soften.
- Add the meat and stir-fry the mixture quickly until lightly browned.
- Stir in the curry paste and cook for a few seconds, then add the coconut milk and sugar and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the bell pepper, stock, fish sauce, and lime juice, then cover and simmer for an additional 15 minutes, or until the meat is tender.
- Add the water chestnuts, cilantro, basil and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Transfer to serving plates, then garnish with basil leaves and serve with jasmine rice.