- 1 tbsp. vegetable or peanut oil
- 1 lb / 450 g beef top round, cut into cubes
- 2 tbsp. Mussaman curry paste
- 2 large onions, cut into wedges
- 2 large potatoes, cut into chunks
- 14 fl oz / 400 ml / 1-3/4 cups coconut milk
- 1/4 pint / 150ml / 2/3 cup water
- 2 cardamom pods
- 2 tbsp. tamarind paste
- 2 tsp. jaggery or soft light brown sugar
- 2-3/4 oz / 75 g / 2/3 cup unsalted peanuts, toasted or dry-fried
- 1 fresh red chili, sliced thinly boiled rice, to serve
( Baking Conversion Chart )
Heat the oil in a wok and cook the meat, in batches, until browned all over. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
Add the curry paste to the wok and stir-fry for 1-2 minutes. Add the onions and potatoes and stir-fry for 4-5 minutes, until golden brown. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
Pour the coconut milk into the wok with the measured water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and let simmer for 8-10 minutes.
Return the meat and cooked vegetables to the wok. Add the cardamom, tamarind paste, and sugar, and let simmer for 15-20 minutes, until the meat is tender stir in the peanuts and chili and serve with rice.