This dish can be served as a meal on its own or as part of a meal with other dishes.
- 500 g (1 lb 1½ oz) Crabs, cleaned and cut into quarters
- 3 Tbsp Cooking oil
- 55 g (2 oz) Glass noodles, soaked for 5 minutes and drained
- 375 ml (12 fl oz / 1½ cups) Chicken stock
- 1 sprig Coriander leaves (cilantro), cut into 1-cm (½-in) lengths
- 1 Red chilli, seeded and cut into thin strips
- 2 Tbsp Fish sauce
- 2 Tbsp Sesame oil
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tbsp Light soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp Black peppercorns
- 1-cm (½-in) Ginger knob, peeled
- 3 Coriander roots (cilantro), chopped
- 3 cloves Garlic, peeled
( Kitchen Conversion )
- Combine ingredients for marinade in a large bowl and add crabs. Mix well and leave to marinate for 30 minutes.
- Pound ingredients for paste together until fine. Heat cooking oil in a claypot and fry ground paste for 5 minutes or until fragrant. Add marinated crabs, glass noodles and chicken stock. Mix well.
- Cover claypot and simmer for 8 minutes or until crabs change colour completely and are cooked. Garnish with coriander leaves and chilli strips. Serve immediately.
Note: To make your own Chicken Stock, simmer 1 kg (2 lb 3 oz) chicken bones and parts in 3 litres (96 fl oz / 12 cups) water for 45 minutes, then leave to cool and skim off the layer of fat before using.