- 6 dried shiitake mushrooms
- 4 oz / 115 g rice vermicelli noodles
- 4 small fresh green chilies, seeded and chopped
- 6 tbsp. rice wine vinegar
- 1-1/2 pints / 850 ml / 3-1/2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 lemongrass stalks, snapped in half
- 4 oz / 115 g canned water chestnuts, drained, rinsed, halved
- 6 tbsp. Thai soy sauce
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 tbsp. jaggery or soft light brown sugar
- 3 scallions, chopped, to garnish
( Cooking Measuring )
Place the dried mushrooms in a bowl and pour in enough hot water to cover. Set aside to soak for 1 hour. Place the noodles in another bowl and pour in enough hot water to cover. Set aside to soak for 10 minutes. Combine the chilies and rice wine vinegar in a third bowl and set aside.
Drain the mushrooms and noodles. Bring the stock To a boil in a large pan. Add the mushrooms, noodles, lemongrass, water chestnuts, soy sauce, lime juice, and sugar, and bring to a boil.
Stir in the chili and vinegar mixture and cook for 1-2 minutes. Remove and discard the lemon grass. Ladle the soup into warmed bowls and serve hot, garnished with the scallions.