- 1-3/4 pints / 1 litre / 4 cups beef stock
- 1/4 pint / 150 ml / 2/3 cup vegetable or peanut oil
- 3 oz / 85 g rice vermicelli noodles
- 2 shallots, sliced thinly
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1-inch / 2.5-cm piece fresh ginger, sliced thinly
- 8-oz / 225-g piece fillet steak, cut into thin strips
- 2 tbsp. Thai green curry paste
- 2 tbsp. Thai soy sauce
- 1 tbsp. fish sauce
- chopped fresh cilantro, to garnish
( Food Measurement Conversion )
Pour the stock into a large pan and bring to a boil. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a wok or large skillet. Add a third of the noodles and cook for 10-20 seconds, until they have puffed up. Lift out of the oil with tongs, drain on paper towels, and set aside. Discard all but 2 tablespoons of the oil.
Add the shallots, garlic, and ginger to the wok or skillet and stir-fry for 1 minute. Add the beef and curry paste and stir-fry for an additional 3-4 minutes, until tender.
Add the beef mixture, the uncooked noodles, soy sauce, and fish sauce to the pan of stock and let simmer for 2-3 minutes, until the noodles have swelled. Serve hot, garnished with the chopped cilantro and the reserved crispy noodles.