- 1 oz / 25 g / 1/4 cup dried cepes or other mushrooms
- 1-3/4 pints / 1 litre / 4 cups water
- 2 tbsp.vegetable or peanut oil
- 4 oz / 115 g mushrooms, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, copped coarsely
- 2-inch / 5-cm piece fresh galangal, sliced thinly
- 2 chicken breast portions (on the bone, skin on)
- 8 oz / 225 g baby cremini or white mushrooms, quartered
- juice of 1/2 lime
- sprigs fresh flat-leaf parsley, to garnish
( Cooking Chart )
Place the dried mushrooms in a small bowl and pour over hot water to cover. Set aside to soak for 20-30 minutes. Drain the mushrooms, reserving the soaking liquid. Cut off and discard the stalks and chop the caps coarsely.
Pour the reserved soaking water into a pan with the measured water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer
Meanwhile, heat the oil in a wok and stir-fry the soaked mushrooms, sliced fresh mushrooms, garlic, and galangal for 3-4 minutes. Add to the pan of hot water with chicken breasts. Let simmer for 10-15 minutes, until the meat comes off the bones easily.
Remove the chicken from the pan. Peel off and set aside the skin. Remove the meat from the bones, slice, and set aside. Return the skin and bones to the stock and let simmer for an additional 30 minutes.
Remove the pan from heat and strain the stock into a clean pan through a cheesecloth-lined strainer. Bring back to a boil and add the cremini or white mushrooms, sliced chicken, and lime juice. Reduce the heat and let simmer for 8-10 minutes. Ladle into warmed bowls, garnish with parsley sprigs, serve immediately.